So much to sew!


Here's another embroidery sample from this fabulous course. I just love the denim and could quite happily use it for all my samples. But I realise I need to try some different fabrics to help get an understanding of how various fabrics impact the stitches.

So, I used corduroy fabric this time. A few people in the Facebook group found it very unusual. I am enjoying not knowing the 'rules' in this medium as I don't feel any restrictions at all. It's just purely about exploration and experimentation. It's so refreshing!


We are also encouraged to keep a notebook as a record of our samples. It's a great place to keep track of various techniques, as well as any thoughts or ideas for future exploration.


I have just finished Module 1, which was all about running stitch, and now Module 2 is backstitching.
DRAWING with backstitching! I have been desperate to try some stitching using one of my own illustrations, but I am already having a few technical issues!


For my first sample, I did not have any tissue paper to trace the image onto, so I used baking paper! Once the paper was ripped off, the stitches were too loose! So I bought some tissue paper, and reduced the thread to a single strand. Now I think the stitches are too small! I think this will take a bit of practice to get the look and feel that I am happy with. But it's so much fun!

Come back soon to see how I go with 'couching'. (I had not heard of it either until this course!) I will reveal all in my next post! I just want to sew, sew, sew!





Comments

Popular Posts