End of an era

My maternity leave is drawing to a close now, so Jade and I travelled to Melbourne yesterday to officially resign from my full-time job in person.

It was a really weird feeling being back in a world that seems a lifetime away from where I am now, but it just strengthened the feeling that I am in the right place!

So now I am now a full-time Mum looking after this delightful little bundle of joy!


Of course I will be keeping up the freelance work. Being creative is such a fundamental part of who I am that I need to keep myself challenged in this area whenever I can.

My list of next projects is quickly building up. I've already taken on a new project with my old work (!), I have some more school readers lined up, and next week I am meeting with the publisher of the book I have just finished, to see what our next project might be.

But today we are off to the library. (I love that she loves books already!)Then it's lunch with the wonderful Raymond J. And then ... a reality check - housework and grocery shopping.... (oh the glamour of it all)and I've never been happier!

Comments

K said…
I know you don't know me from Adam. Except that I cheekily comment here. I was drawn to you by your designs, and what you wrote about having your beautiful child. I will admit that every time I meet some lovely, talented young almost mother these days, I feel afraid. Nobody seems to understand that children need their mothers, and mothers need their children. Nobody seems to understand that motherhood is the highest, most challenging of all creative endeavors. That all the time and work and sleep problems are simply a cheap price for the magnificence of shaping and guiding a person who will love you forever and make the world more beautiful and strong.

But look at you. You quit your job. I think I'm crying over it. With utter respect and joy. Good job.

Good job.
Congrats on leaving your job! I did the same thing (only a year or two before I got pregnant so I could start up my freelancing first) and there are no regrets! Now I'm currently "baking" number two and wondering how the balance between freelance and babies is going to go. Still, I'm sure it will be fine. Love your work, extra glad that we have even more in common now and wishing you all the very best luck.
Thank you for all your kind words and support. I feel very lucky to be able to make this choice as I know not everyone has the luxury of a choice in such matters.

Popular Posts