Quiet contemplation


I have been playing with some new markers and sketches lately, as I hope to get more "hands on" this year. I have relied on my computer skills for so long that I need to get back to basics this year. This will include a return to life drawing on a more permanent basis!



This was a Christmas pressie from my parents and it holds more significance that you might think. Way back when I was still in primary school I attended a special "Writers Camp" for country kids, and Graeme Base was our guest speaker, having just published his first ever book featured below:



I still have the original sketches he did for me back then, and have had several books of his signed over the years!

Reading his life story has reminded me how much I once loved writing. When I first left school I could not decide whether to pursue art or writing and ended up being offered University placements in both disciplines. I chose art, but always kept sketch books of notes and ideas for stories dating back many years. I seem to have slowed up of late, but over the break I opened that drawer and contemplated this collection of notebooks.



I think that this year it's high time I brought some of these pages to life. I am quite shy of my writing and am thinking about doing a short course to get my confidence up again, but either way, it's time to dust off the pages and get stuck in. Here's to a year of fulfilling dreams.

Type Summary Here

Type the rest here

Comments

Sarah said…
I really loved Animalia when I was little. When I was little my mom and I used to go through every page letter and make lists of as much stuff as we could find. It was so much fun!
lil kim said…
Yes, here here to fulfilling dreams! All the best for 2009 Dan, I'm sure the world will be a better place once your writing is at large :)
jmeyersketches said…
ah man I would love to see a kiddy book written and illustrated by you. =)

Love the cover of that book with the antelopes creatures, what fascinating colors.
Ange B said…
I saw the exhibition at the Queensland Museum of all of his paintings for the waterhole, it was about 3 1/2 years ago and I fell in love with his work, its one thing to see it in a book, another to see the real thing...big sigh! My little boy has some of his books, he was given Animalia for Christmas...he loves it as much as I do...for different reasons though. Id love to read your book Danielle...
Cheers
Ange
Hello! Just stumbled across your lovely blog. I love Graeme Base too, and we have featured him several times on our blog. I have a similar memory of being able to work with Graeme Base when he came to my primary school for an intensive program - so great.
Hello! Just stumbled across your lovely blog. I love Graeme Base too, and we have featured him several times on our blog. I have a similar memory of being able to work with Graeme Base when he came to my primary school for an intensive program - so great.

Popular Posts